Tuesday, 29 March 2011

And then there were 2

Sad day today my black rock hen who was 8 years old has died. She seemed fit as a fiddle yesterday fighting her way through to get to the bread hand out and laid an egg only 3 days ago. However I knew something was not right when she failed to come out of the hen house this morning so I checked her and knew that she would not be with us on my return from work. She must have gone quickly as Paul check her an hour after I left and she had died.
She was a special hen as she survived a stoat attack when she was only a year old and practically had half of her scalp de-gloved but the wonderful vet skin stapled it back into place with a gloomy prognosis but she proved otherwise. The injury left her with a wonky set of wattles but a lovely trusting nature.
Jane

2 comments:

  1. 8 years old

    bloody hell jane
    you looked after that girl well!
    good for you!
    bless... did she havea name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah really original .......... Blackie! Lol
    Jane

    ReplyDelete