Sunday, 3 January 2010

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr



It's cold everywhere! I do love this time of year unlike most normal people. Wrapping up and going out into a cold, dry, sunny garden covered in snow gets the blood pumping ... but.. I don't like the frozen water pipes and the inconvenience of having to come back inside to defrost the chicken water feeder and checking the insulation bubble wrap on the guinea pigs water bottle. The chicken feeder is galvanised so a run under the hot water tap sorts that out. I did catch one of the gps trying to eat the bubble wrap this morning though! so had to rethink how that was wrapped round the bottle.
As you can see from the pics the garden is covered and yesterday we had another 3 inches of the white stuff so it has made the pond virtually invisible. The bird feeders hang at the field end of the garden from the apple trees. There are 3 in total - one full of peanuts, another with black sunflowers and the niger seed feeder for the finches. They are all well visited by Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Sparrows and all sorts of tits. I also have 2 bird tables that attract Thrushes, Starlings, Blackbirds etc. One visitor that we have seen this morning that is not welcome is a rat so Paul is now on a mission to seek and destroy. We know where they are probably nesting (next door) however we do do try to avoid atracting them i.e. minimal food on the bird tables and the chicken food is taken in.
Happy new year to you all.


2 comments:

  1. Me thinks I shall have to come and see your woodpeckers as the last time we saw them was hundreds of years ago (when we were young). Cold even I've felt a bit chilly and have been wearing gloves and a scarf so everyone else must be frozen love the view from your garden - Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    It's been ages since I visited your blog. You seem to be in the minority of people who love the snow!! I can't be bothered with it especially when it turns to ice and is very dangerous for all of us!
    I adore your little guinea pigs in the photo and remember when we had ours when the girls were small. It is a lovely photo.
    You need to talk to Georgina regards your planned visit to New York. She visited last February with 6th Form and absolutely adored it. They stayed in a bit of a crummy hotel called the Pennsylvania but it was cheap and in a good location. If you look on Trip Advisor you can read the report she dictated to me last Feb. They all wish they were going again next month. Lack of time prevented them doing lots of things but they crammed in as much in 5 days as they possibly could. Take loads of money though because she got through a huge amount (mostly gifts for her boyfriend though!)
    Good news about a possible second Husky.. for goodness sake keep it quiet from Frankie though because she'll plague me to death for one. She thought we were getting a puppy for Christmas AGAIN!! When will she get the message?
    Nice to see Jenny having a good time on her 18th.
    Love Jo xx

    ReplyDelete