Saturday, 18 June 2011

Birthday weekend


















I've posted a picture of the view from my youngest daughter's bedroom because it is one of my favourite views. It is looking North Westerly over towards Alport Heights, a local landmark. It is one of the reasons that we jumped at the chance of living here, nearly 14 years ago we lived 4 houses down the lane in a semi-detached property that we had gutted and renovated. Stan, an elderly neighbour sadly became ill and had to move into a nursing home which left this property vacant. It was then a traditional 1930s 2 bedroomed bungalow with a decent sized garden. We were lucky to get it through a private sale and have worked hard extending and modifying it over the years.


Well its the old cliche of where does the time go to?

My eldest daughter is 22 tomorrow and I remember everything like it was yesterday - but then it was pretty traumatic so we wont go into that!!
I popped into town this morning and picked her up a little pressie, what do you get a 22 year old who has everything? a pretty bag of course for all her gadgets, make up etc.


The garden is looking well and the first of the sweet peas are blooming, a heritage variety called Old Spice mixed they have a gorgeous scent as does the honeysuckle that grows up the apple trees. In the evenings when I shut the hens up I can't resist sniffing the flowers.

I pulled up my shallots this morning and was disappointed as they were not as good a yield as in previous years but still enough to provide a few good meals. I love chopping them up or popping the smaller ones in whole and using them instead of onions, a lot sweeter and not as strong.


My next challenge is to organise a charity plant sale as I have surplus plants in the greenhouse - Sage, Lavendar, Thyme, Asters, Zinnias, Roses, Peppers - I have already given several away on Freecycle but have decided to make better use of them and raise funds for the Stroke Association in memory of Dad and in recognition of Father's Day. It felt really strange in the local card shop this morning seeing people choosing their Father's day cards whilst I picked Sara's birthday card.


Have a good weekend everyone.
























2 comments:

  1. I hope the birthday present is well received and you all have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did those years go - you have such lovely views from you place and the bag is super bet she really liked it - best wishes Lesley x
    ps I have had trouble posting to blogs but Joe has sorted it!!! x

    ReplyDelete