Sunday, 2 May 2010

So cold............brrrrrrrrrr

Home grown Asparagus for tea! Luckily it is only the 2 of us.Not much but more than last year, looks like 1 of the crowns has given up the ghost.
This is the side of the house which was a lawn, well it was mainly moss with some grass in it! So Paul has set to and cleared all the old grass and moss, levelled it and tidied up the border edging on the field side. His plan is to lay turf, my plan is to have more raised beds .......... Down the side of the house he is also laying a pathway (where you can see the ladder propped up).

I have 2 thin and long raised beds that are ideal for veg as it enables me to plant etc without having to lean over too far - bad backs and old age! The bed at the back has spring cabbage plants in and I have taken off the plastic cloches this week and covered them with fleece as still not convinced that it is warm enough yet - biting North wind today. It will also keep off the cabbage white butterflies that I have seen flitting about on the few warm days we have had recently. The bed at the front has some leek plants that Dad gave me last winter that I stuck in too late but they now seem to be growing so I have left them in, the bottle cloches are covering Kale plants.

This is my larger raised bed that currently houses garlic - various types. Under the cloches are some Swiss Chard (Bright lights) that I planted out this weekend. Under the bottle cloches are some spare Kale plants, the rest are in my cold frame. I am in the process of deciding where to put my next raised bed for the many vegs that are sitting in the greenhouse!


Cara potatoes are coming through in the greenhouse, I have not used the bags that I tried last year as I had really disappointing results so have gone back to my tried and trusted method of using black 'florist' tubs. I place 3 chitted tubers in and gradually earth up and keep my fingers crossed!


I had 3 globe artichoke plants gifted to me by a fellow Freecycler last year and suprisingly after such a harsh winter 2 of them have survived despite not having been covered or mulched in any way. This year I will be more vigilant as I left the chokes too long and missed eating them so need to keep an eye on them and harvest them when they are still compact.





4 comments:

  1. You have had a busy weekend - I'm looking forward to shallots at the back en of the year and some veggies!!! I didn't realise your side passage was so big - it will look good when the turf is layed. Motor home looks good in the background. Glad you have a couple of your dad's cloches and you can look out at them and think of your dad - best wishes Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homegrown asparagus. Oh How my husband would envy you.

    Your artichokes remind me of cardoons that I had growing at my allotment plot (when I had it). It certainly is a magnificent plant to have.

    PS I ma with you, more raised beds on the side of your house - not turf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! I have potatoes in florist buckets too, I just put one seed in each bucket but do everything else as you descibe. Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley - will keep you in mind when harvesting the veggies!

    Mangocheeks - the asparagus was yummy with melted butter! Lost out on the raised beds though but looks like another site in the garden is a strong possibility will keep you posted, lol

    Bob - thanks for visiting my blog, I love reading the walks on yours. My spud plants are romping away now.

    ReplyDelete