Monday, 17 May 2010

Getting warmer ..........slowly!

Been spending lots of time in the greenhouse over the past few weeks especially at the weekends. Most of the seeds sown are coming on well however there is a noticeable delay this year and my peppers, tomatoes and courgettes are way behind compared to this time last year. On a positive note my Cara potatoes planted in tubs are growing well and healthily.

This picture (taken last year) is of the potting bench and tray that I would be lost without as it saves my back and confines everything to one area. I am currently considering getting 2 more automatic vent openers - there are 4 top vents on the greenhouse - 2 manual and 2 automatic - it would be better for those days when I am off to work early and it is questionable how warm it is going to be or am I just too optimistic! I also need to get one pane of replacement glass for the louvre vents and that will be everything sorted.

Last weekend was spent planting out Sweet Peas, French Beans, Broad Beans and Runner Beans. I have planted some Swiss Chard out but they are still under cloches as it is still too risky with the late frosts. My Globe Artichokes are shooting up along with the Garlic. I've even ventured into other flowers this year as I usually only grow veggies and perennial plants, these include Chinese Lanterns, Cornflowers, French Marigolds, Petunias and various Poppies.

Let's hope the warm weather they have forecasted for later this week helps!

1 comment:

  1. You have been busy - I can't wait to try your veggies again = hope you are keeping ok with all the galavanting you are doing these days - best wishes Lesley x

    ReplyDelete