Saturday, 10 October 2009

Garden update

While I was away in Scotland Paul's brother gave him a seed feeder as we have been keen to attract some Goldfinches into the garden. We were not having much joy to begin with but over the past week they have discovered the feeder, this morning we had 3 Goldfinches on the top feeder and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker in the adjacent apple tree. They are such beautiful, colourful birds.

The pond has looked good all summer. All the water soldier plants have submerged ready for the winter so they don't get damaged by the frosts that will soon be on their way.

Still lots of green tomatoes in the greenhouse but they are ripening each day, so lots in the kitchen window bottom and looks like next weekend will be spent removing the last ones and making chutney!

The potatoes are doing well so hopefully will have home grown new potatoes for Christmas - yummy.

One thing Paul forgot to do while I was away was inspect the cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprout plants in the raised beds for caterpillars. I had covered them with fleece to help minimise bird and butterfly atttack but there are always some that get in and lay those pesky eggs. So an intense caterpillar picking exercise commenced and I managed to save about two thirds of the plants so all was not lost. I will put some onion sets/garlic in this week to fill the gaps.

One thing I missed was the Globe artichoke as on my return the spikes were well opened which means the choke would have been too tough and woody for eating so I let nature take its course and the beautiful flower heads have been attracting the bees and insects.







2 comments:

  1. plants in the green house - I took them to the tip - seriously there is a lovely fern growing!! Used to grow all sorts in the greenhouse but used to have problems getting them watered when we were away in the summer - but you never know might do toms' cucumbers and lettuse next year lol Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that what kids are for! lol xx

    ReplyDelete