
My mission this weekend was to plant my second crop potatoes so that by Christmas we will have some home grown potatoes on the table. I ordered my 4 different varieties - Carlingford, Maris Piper, Juliette and Cherie online with 4 potato bags. I have never used this method of growing before so it is a first for me. I usually grow them in pots but I don't think it will be greatly different however I must remember, as with all things grown in pots, to water well.
I've put them in the greenhouse underneath the staging so they are out of the way but in reach of the watering can. Just need to top up the compost when the shoots appear and grow to about 3" tall. I cannot tell you how great it feels when you empty the pot and find all those potatoes - magic!
I had planned to do this outside on the patio but as it never ceased raining all day so I ended up doing it in the greenhouse with the raining tipping down on the glass. Today is better weatherwise, no rain at present. I have just been out into the garden and the chickens were sun bathing!

This is Ripley, my Warren hen, enjoying the sun, they are so funny when they sunbathe as they flop onto their sides, stretch their legs and wings out and close their eyes and just look so contented!
My sister has just informed me that she has won a competition that I entered her into and has won 3 hens!

On my walk round the garden I took this pic of one of the many sunflowers I have grown this year. They are a variety called 'Velvet Queen' and have produced lovely rich orange/red flowers. They are not a tall variety like the traditional sunflowers and the flower head is very compact but for our garden at the top of a windy hill that is a good thing!

In the greenhouse I have done some more successional sowing of lettuce, easy to do in small pots every couple of weeks so you have a constant supply. I also have another sowing of Spinach in a trough outside and the seedlings are just poking through. Baby spinach leaves with Lollo Rosso leaves and chives make a lovely side salad.
My garlic and shallots are drying nicely and the smell in the greenhouse is great!

Hey Jane....love the blog.
ReplyDeleteMy Mum & Step-Dad have grown spuds (tiddies as the Cornish say!) that way for the first time this year and very successfully so good luck for Christmas!
Love the chickens too. Now I am really feeling clucky!!!
Sharon x
Hi Jane,
ReplyDeleteThe hen looks so funny sunbathing (I am only jealous because she looks more flattering than I do when I sunbathe) not that we have had much chance of that since the decorator finished about 3 weeks ago. What awful weather eh? I expect it saves you lots of trouble watering your veg and flowers but, enough is enough as far as I am concerned with this darned rain!!
The lawn keeps growing with so much rain and it's my job to mow it all the time. Sound like a right moaning minnie don't I?
A lady that used to be the receptionist at my acupuncturist's, just gave me some organic home grown spuds from her allotment last Thursday, they were delicious. She has just retired so will have more time to tend to the allotment now with her hubby. I hope she pops by again with more goodies!! I shall miss my contact for home grown plums and cooking apples now too,this autumn as Bernard the pharmacist from Tesco has now turned into a locum and is here & there, so I expect he won't bring me any. I won't be turning into a gardener though, I shall just have to buy them!!
What a lovely surprise too that your sister won some hens? Was she aware that you had entered her name into the comp I wonder??
Jane - I had no idea you do so much in the garden - where do you get the time!!! You are mega talented. Lesley x
ReplyDeleteLesley - it keeps me sane - just! x
ReplyDelete