Sunday, 3 October 2010

Wet weekend = sorting out weekend















Yesterday was the only dry day predicted for the weekend so I made sure that I got the out door/gardening jobs out of the way. I harvested the Achocha plant and now need to find out what to do with them! according to 'The Alternative Kitchen Garden' book by Emma Cooper you can either eat them raw in salads etc , apparently they taste like green peppers, or cook them in stir frys, currys or use on pizzas.
I also decluttered the shed only to be met with Mr Ratty so the humane trap is being reset!

The garlic in one of the small raised beds is pushing through only 2 weeks after planting so looks promising. I have covered the Chinese cabbage plants with fleece in the hopes of protecting against the slugs etc. Percy Pug did disturb them last week so I had to do a bit of emergency repair work but hopefully now he will keep away.

I spent 2 hours yesterday doing a reverse spring clean in the youngest daughter's bedroom and felt exhausted afterwards so now have a pile of Freecycle items so at least someone will be benefitting. Today I hope to get a bit of reading in, tatting (trying to do some snowflakes for the Chrstmas tree) and generally taking it easy.

3 comments:

  1. Jane - never heard of Achocha look forward to hearing from you what they taste like - best wishes Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to find out what your achocha tasted like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matron
    in its raw state it tasted kind of sweet pepper/cucumberish. I used them in a couple of casserole style dishes and it did not taste too strongly so good for bulking out a dish.
    I have saved some seeds if you are interested?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete