Sunday, 11 April 2010

Scotland trip

Glen More
Lip na cloiche garden
Crinan


View from Craignure campsite




Uisken beach, Mull





Loch Awe






Kilchurn castle, Loch Awe









Easter week was spent travelling up to Loch Awe for 3 nights then catching the Oban to Mull Ferry on bank holiday Monday.The weekend in Loch Awe was a bit wet and wild but still managed to get out and about visiting Kilchurn castle, the Power station at Cruachan mountain, Kirk Conan church at Loch Awe and the Smokery at Inverawe - delicious smoked salmon and pate cobs with a lovely walk to Loch Etive to burn off the calories!

Once on Mull we stayed at the Shielings campsite at Craignure which was a lovely setting and gave us regular sightings of otters, grey herons, seals and lots of waders.

Across the road is the Craignure Inn which serves good, locally sourced meals - would definately recommend the mussels and the fish stew!

We managed to cover most of the island during our brief stay including the drive from Salen up past Ulva to Dervaig and Calgary bay stopping off at Lip na Cloiche garden just past the ferry turn off. Lovely setting with very imaginative use of all kinds of recylced items i.e. old metal bedsteads, gardening forks and artistic pathways. I treated myself to some plants to put in my own garden .

The drive along Glen More out towards Iona was beautiful and Uisken beach is stunning. We had a drive down to Fidden Farm campsite which is tucked away in a beautiful spot but has to be accessed from Craignure via a 1.5 hour drive along a single track road! fortunately there are shops etc in Fionnphort nearby including fuel nearby.








The trip back included an overnight stay at the CC site at Ayr including a much needed takeaway delivered to the site.




(Apologies for picture quality as most taken on my phone)

























6 comments:

  1. Such a lovely part of the world! I have been a customer of Inverawe for more than 30 years, and had the pleasure of visiting the smokery a few years ago. Wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been to Scotland since 1980 when Joe and I camped out way they through North Wales and the Lake District in April when we went to my best friend of those nursing days in Edinburgh!! The photo's aren't bad and glad you had a lovely time - best wishes Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the quality of your pictures are fine. I do hope Scottish weather treated you kind when you were here?!

    Thank you so much for coming by my blog, that way you have introduced me to yours. I will certainly be coming back to see your chickens and your progress in growing veg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow!
    I am inspired to get researching and booking our trip from Cornwall to Scotland next year now!
    Fab.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon
    go for it!
    if you need any tips/advice etc just let me know. I have put review on uk campsite of all the sites we stayed on. Paddy will love the beaches in Scotland especially on the Uists in the Outer Hebrides, not a sole in sight, fantastic!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete